So I'm up late again. Last night Jillian and I somehow managed to stay up probably until 4am and since I didn't have a class until 4pm the next day we ended up sleeping in until about 230pm!! Crazy and a little embarrasing I know, but I just say that it's me getting that sleep I've missed over the last week. However, now I'm not tired at all :( oh well, time to blog/avoid homework i suppose.
Anyways, let's see where did I leave off last time...oh yes, Sunday I ended up not going to the tour of the Vatican, I'll be doing it later, but me and Jillian and our friends Brett, Marie, Lindsey and Meg took the bus to this really cool outdoor market, Porta Portese, it was really neat! It's every Sunday morning and it has a whole lot of different stuff. It's kind of funny because some of it is on the nicer side but then some of the stuff is like the really wacky clothes that has totally been worn before sometime in the 80s, and a lot of it is like one euro. Marie got this really fun fake leather jacket that it was decided would be worn someday by someone, but we're not quite sure the details yet. Haha, it's really funny looking. And then there were a bunch of really crazy colored things, like jumpsuits and ski pants and like clown suits. It was amusing. Then there were a bunch of cheap shoe stands and purses and such. It was fun to look at (Mom you would have liked it, it kind of reminded me and Jillian of the market we went to in D.C. last summer). I however, unfortunately did not get any of the fun stuff, I only got some socks because I guess I didn't bring enough. Then Sunday evening we went to this really good pizza place, ahhhh it was soo good! A bunch of us went and got a whole lot of pizzas and just devoured them! They were super delicious! And then of course went and got gelato hehe.
Monday, after classes, me and three girls went on another adventure! We went to this amazing church, I will refer to it as the "Bone Church". First we went into the top of the church, it was beautiful of course. Then underneath the church there are these tombs of catholic monks. I wish I had been able to take pictures, it was like nothing I've ever seen before. When you walk in, there are five rooms in a row, and all of them have different tombs of the monks. All of the walls are completely and intricately decorated with the monks bones. It was actually extremely beautiful, but quite morbid at the same time. and then there were a few monks that were completely still together in their robes, they were arranged differently in each of the rooms. It was quite eerie, the tombs were very cold and there was older church music playing in the background. The designs done with the bones were really pretty, I actually thought it would be cool designs for a home...if they weren't done out of bones. At the last room, there was a tomb stone that said "You are now what we use to be and you will be what we are now" which struck all of us. It was definitely something to contemplate over.
After we were done there, we decided to go around looking in different churches. We went into the church at the top of the Spanish Steps, and it was really beautiful, as were all the rest of them. They are all so different than any church I've ever been to. I hope that I can go see a bunch more churches while I'm here. There seems to be one on every corner here.
Yesterday was also really fun in a different way. We decided to go to Scholar's, the Irish Pub that everyone here goes to, to watch the inaugration. It was so much fun! The place was absolutely packed and everyone was so excited about it! I was glad that although I couldn't be at home and wasn't able to go to it in D.C., that I was still able to witness it and be somewhat a part of it. It was just such an exciting thing to watch!
And then today, as I've said I slept a lot! So tomorrow hopefully I'll go out and do something exciting! I'm already looking forward to the weekend though, we have a bunch of tours! Yay! And then Jillian and I spent some time last night planning out our weekends for the semester, I'm really excited about all the trips! As of now, our first trip is going to be not this weekend but the next to Venice! Mostly our trips during the semester will be cities in Italy and then more of Europe once the semester is over.
Ok well hope all ya'll are all doing great! I miss you all!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Thanks so much for writing. It all sounds so exciting and I absolutely love the pictures and now I know I have to go to Italy just to go to the funky market! Love, Mom
ReplyDeleteGenevieve, I remember the bone church! That place is so awesome. It sounds like you're having a blast, and it's so great to live vicariously through you. You're going to LOVE Venice. If you have time, go to the Modern Art museum, it's called the Peggy Guggenheim something and it's hard to find, but everything is hard to find in Venice, that's what makes it fun! Also, the mosaics in St. Mark's are mind-blowing, and you can't miss St. Mark's! Good luck on all of your adventures, and I can't wait to hear more.
ReplyDelete-Erin